There are only twelve days until our playing season kicks off!!! Given the limited time we have until our
season begins, the committee has decided to proceed with a few events and special training sessions to get
keep things rolling along. So what’s happening? …
- Optional Thursday hitting will commence this week, so if you would like to get some extra time in the cages, Steve Lehmann is available on Thursdays between 5.15 and 7.30 pm at the batting cages next to the oval. Let him know if you wish to come. You can speak to him on Wednesday at our regular club training session.
- Saturday 14th of April at 11.00am will be our first and only training session at Ross Straw Field (our home ground) before the season begins. For those who’ve never stepped onto a proper baseball diamond, this will be the only opportunity to have a look at our facilities before our games begin. It will be a good opportunity to meet new and returning players and may be an ideal opportunity to shake off those cobwebs for those who are unable to attend training on a regular basis. (See map attached). There will be a BBQ afterwards. NOTE: Coach’s request: wear pants. I am guessing sliding is involved… so not your best jeans.
- Wednesday 18th of April is a combined pie and team selection night, where the coaches will announce teams, hand out contact numbers, and organise transport to get to games for those who require it. This is a big one. If you want to play this season, please fill out the form in the link provided (in the e‐mail). Also, please attend training on this night.
- After the 18th of April training session, someone from our uniform supplier will be at training to sell a limited range of merchandise if you need some for the new season.
- On Sunday the 22nd of April, UMBC will be hosting a Junior Gala Day at Ross Straw Field for U/13 teams from the Diamond Valley and Ringwood District winter competitions. Our club has a commitment with the MWBL to further junior baseball development, and as such, we require a number of volunteers to assist us with co‐ordination on the day. Roles will include setting up diamonds for use, umpiring, running the canteen, directing parents and supporters, as well as other small duties that may arise on the day. If you are in any way able to help out, whether it is for a couple of hours, half a day or a full day, that would very much be appreciated. Coaches will be asking for assistance leading up to the day, so please do put your hand up and help out if you can. If you definitely are able to assist, please send me an e‐mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or speak to someone in the committee about it.
So there’s plenty happening from now until the season begins. Hopefully we see you around!